Last week a local teenage boy was riding his skateboard when he grabbed onto the back of a cement truck, and shortly thereafter lost his balance. The teen fell and the truck ran over his legs, according to the Baltimore Sun. The teen was taken to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center after the accident, but passed away on Monday. The Maryland traffic accident occurred near Key Highway about 8:30 a.m. late last week.
Archive for September, 2007
The family of a 7-year-old dog bite victim expressed outrage at the length of time it took paramedics to arrive at the scene when the girl was attacked by a pit bull, reports the Baltimore Sun.
The little girl, Kayla, was playing outside Friday afternoon when the pit bull locked its jaws around her left leg. The dog couldn’t be pried from the girl by family members and bystanders, and only let go when police arrived and began shooting the dog. Police seized two other pit bulls from the home of the dog owners.
The Maryland dog bite victim then had to wait at least twenty minutes for paramedics to arrive, despite the nine police cars already at the scene. Family members expressed worry that she could have bled to death from her dog bite injuries while the ambulance made its way to the scene.
The Fire Department’s average response time is around three and a half minutes, and officials said the delay was likely due to a dispatch problem.
Eduardo Raul Morales-Soriano was recorded as having a blood-alcohol level four times the legal amount when he crashed into the couple’s car last Thanksgiving at an intersection in Columbia. According to past records, Morales-Soriano was allegedly involved in several other auto-related incidents, including negligent driving, speeding and driving the wrong way on a one-way street, but he was never convicted of any wrongdoing.
September 17, 2007
According to the Baltimore Sun, a Virginia man was killed after crashing into an ambulance on Friday. The Maryland motorcycle accident occurred last Friday morning in Anne Arundel County as the motorcycle struck the ambulance as it was turning left onto Route 198 near a shopping center. The motorcycle driver had multiple injuries and was later pronounced dead at a local hospital, while the ambulance driver suffered leg injuries. The motorcycle driver may have driven through a red light, ultimately causing the traffic accident, said police.
September 14, 2007
New homes in Anne Arundel County may be required to have fire sprinklers. According to the Maryland State Fireman’s Association, some new homes are not built to withstand fire as well as some older homes. As a result, having mandatory sprinklers installed in new homes may decrease the chances of residents experiencing serious Maryland fire and burn injuries in a fire. Some house developers, however, say that installing sprinklers is not cost-effective—a sprinkler system could add up to $20,000 to the cost of a house. Additionally, if a sprinkler is accidentally triggered, it could cause serious water damage.
September 10, 2007
Monday morning a multiple-car crash—involving two big trucks, a car, and a van—on Route 50 resulted in one fatality and three injuries. Those with injuries were taken to local hospitals for treatment, while the westbound lanes of Route 50 were shut down to clear the accident. Police are still investigating the car accident.
September 5, 2007
While popcorn is an American favorite, the butter-flavored chemical used on this staple food may be causing a severe lung condition, bronchiolitis obliterans. According to a physician at the National Jewish Medical and Research Center, the chemical, also known as diacetyl, does not post harm when ingested, however, breathing the diacetyl fumes may prove to be very dangerous.
Earlier this year, a man was diagnosed with a rare lung disease that is typically associated with people who work in food-flavor factories. This man, however, didn’t work in that type of environment. Instead, he ate about two bags of popcorn a day, inhaling the diacetyl fumes on a regular basis.
Some physicians and experts in occupational and environmental health are pushing for stronger health regulations and urging manufacturers to stop using diacetyl in their products. Some popcorn producers say they will stop using the chemical in their products.