October 9, 2012
An electrical contractor working on a collapsed warehouse in Cheverly, Maryland, was seriously injured Tuesday.
The Washington Post stated the worker was repairing an underground vault at the facility located on Cabin Branch Drive when an electrical arc—a stream of strong electrical current that jumps from one conductor to another—struck the worker. A spokesman for the Prince George’s County Fire/EMS crew, Mark Brady, confirmed the victim suffered second-degree fire and burn injuries to his face, neck, chest, and arms as a result of the accident and is currently receiving treatment at a local hospital.
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics shows accidents involving electrocution or electric burn injuries were responsible for 39 fatalities last year alone. Experts say electrical arcs cause many of these accidents because they can be roughly four times hotter than the sun. Employees working within 20 feet of a potential electrical arc should protect themselves by wearing protective gear, such as:
- Leather Gauntlet Gloves
- Safety Glasses
- Fiberglass Hard Hat
- Face Cover Helmet
- Flame-Resistant Protective Clothing
It’s also important for workers to maintain separation through use of hook sticks and shields, while also not working within prohibited distances of energized parts.
The Washington, D.C. Personal Injury Lawyers with ChasenBoscolo Injury Lawyers understand the pain and frustration that can accompany on-the-job accidents and hope these safety tips will help better protect electrical workers in the Maryland area.